Learn how to make this adorable jungle animal cake and impress family and friends! It’s perfect for children’s birthdays and relatively simple to create, so why not give it a go today?
You Will Need
- Zebra Print Sugar Sheet
- Large Number Cutters
- Wilton Green Decorating Icing
- Wilton Standard Coupler
- JEM Grass Piping Tip
- Edible Wafer Leaves
- Culpitt Green Sugarpaste
- Cake Smoother
- Edible Jungle Animals
- PME Teddybear Brown Sugarpaste
- Wood Impression Mat
- FMM Script Alphabet Cutters
- Ball Modelling Tool
- Bear Grass
Step By Step in Pictures
You’re going to need to bake a tall cake and cover this in chocolate brown sugarpaste before you start. You’ll also need a round drum approximately 3″ bigger than your cake, and this also needs to be covered in chocolate brown fondant.
Creating The Number Topper
1. Start by taking the zebra print sugar sheet and, using one of the large number cutters, cut out the correct age for the recipient of your cake.
2. Turn the sugarsheet over and again, cut out the same number. This will ensure your number topper has a zebra patterned front and back!
3. Next, take some white modelling paste and roll this out to approximately 1cm thick. Use the large number cutter again to cut out the correct age.
4. Dab the modelling paste with a little edible glue, and stick the zebra print numbers to it (one on the front, one on the back). Leave the topper to dry and harden.
5. Once the number topper has dried, use the Wilton green decorating icing and grass piping tip to dab a blob of icing on top of the cake, where you want the topper to sit.
6. Sit the number topper on your cake, placing this in the green grass icing to help keep it in place.
Decorating The Cake
7. Use the Wilton green decorating icing and grass piping tip to create a grass effect all the way around the bottom edge of the cake.
8. Next, take some of the edible wafer leaves and, whilst the icing is still wet, stick these along the bottom of the cake to add to the jungle effect.
9. Take a piece of green sugarpaste and roll this into a smooth round ball. Using a cake smoother, roll this into a long, thin sausage strip to make a jungle ‘vine’ for your cake.
10. Arrange the vine so that it hangs over the edge of the cake and drapes down the side. Fix this into place using a little edible glue.